One of the tradition of most Filipino Roman Catholic during Holy Week is Visita Iglesia– visiting seven churches either maundy thursday or good friday and recite the Stations of the Cross. Here are the seven churches around Metro Manila that we visited in particular order.
The National Shrine of Our Mother of Perpetual Help also known as Baclaran Church. Location: Baclaran, Parañaque City.
The Our Lady of Remedies Parish, also known as Malate Church. Location : 2000 M.H. Del Pilar St., Malate, Manila City.
The Minor Basilica and Metropolitan Cathedral of the Immaculate Conception also known as Manila Cathedral. Location: Cabildo St. corner Beaterio St., Intramuros, Manila
San Agustin Church. Location: Gen. A. Luna St. corner Real St., Intramuros, Manila
Minor Basilica of Saint Lorenzo Ruiz also known as Binondo Church. Location: Plaza Lorenzo Ruiz, Binondo, Manila
Our Lady of Pillar Church also known as Santa Cruz Church. Location: Plaza Sta.Cruz, Manila
Archdiocesan Shrine of Jesus, The Way, The Truth and The Life. Location: Central Business Park, Reclamation Area, Pasay City (beside SM Mall of Asia)
Visita Iglesia Tips:
- Start early so can you can have more time exploring the 7 churches.
- Make sure your car works properly ( gas, battery, tire pressure, breaks, light )
- Pack the following inside your car (snacks/food, water, extra clothes, basic medicine, sunblock)
- Bring umbrella/cap and plenty of water, walking into the summer heat can make you really thirsty.
- Wear comfortable footware and expect a lot of walking.
- Bring a lot of 20 and 50 peso bill for the parking fee.
- Stay alert and don’t leave your valuable things unattended or inside the car.
- Make sure phones are fully charged and if it is your first time and not familiar with those places, make sure you have data connection and Waze App.
Since we are in the province of Cavite, we chose to start in Baclaran and end in MOA. Actually there’s no traffic along service roads and we only experienced heavy road traffic near churches such as going to parking of baclaran church and in intramuros. Aside from that looking for a parking space needs a lot of patience and really time consuming. Some roads of intramuros are not passable by vehicle and walking is necessary which makes us really thirsty. We walked from Bureau of Immigration (where we parked our car) going to Manila Cathedral. From Manila Cathedral to San Agustin Church. You will also see a lot of vendors along the streets and expect crowded place in every corner. Binondo Church was a few minutes away from Sta. Cruz Church. Then, we leave our last stop at around 7:30 in the evening so better start early. This will be the first time that we had our visita iglesia with our baby Sean and we are happy and glad we finished 7 churches for this year 2018. 😊